CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

It is time for MULTIPLICATION!

This week we discussed multiplication and how it works! First, I read them this book!
Then as a class, we made of list of items that come in groups of 2. For example, a pair of socks, eyes, arms, legs, hands, wheels on a bicycle, 2 Turltle Doves, etc.

Next, I divided the kiddos into small groups to help figure out what comes in groups of 3, 4, 5,...12!

It was a lot harder than they thought it would be!

I gave them about 20 minutes to come up with their lists.
After awhile, I let them cheat a little bit by googling their group on the internet.

After time was up, we gathered back together and came up with this.....

Our lists were finally complete!
The boys and girls practiced writing their own multiplication problems by using these lists. They had to show me their multiplication sentence and their addition sentence to solve the problem.
For example, I had 3 chairs. Each chair has 4 legs. There are 12 legs in all.
3 x 4 = 12 4 + 4 + 4 = 12

No comments: